imperial logo
Welcome to Imperial Valley College!

Where we foster excellence in education that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character, and abilities; to assist students in achieving their educational and career goals; and to be responsive to the greater community.

Follow us:facebook icontwitter iconinstagram iconyoutube iconlinkedin icon

Financial Aid Programs


The Federal Pell Grant is the largest federal grant program and is the foundation of a student's total "aid package".  Eligibility is determined by the federal government using a standard formula for all applicants based on the data provided on the FAFSA.

For the 2023-24 academic year, the maximum Pell Grant is $7,395 based on full-time enrollment for the school year (Fall 2023 and Spring 2024).  Pell Grant awards are adjusted if you enroll in less than 12 units per semester. New regulations effective July 1, 2017, allow students attending school year-round (including summer sessions) to earn up to an additional 50% of their annual Pell Grant award in certain situations.

The receipt of a Pell Grant is limited to 6 full-time years. In addition, once you earn a Bachelor's Degree, you are no longer eligible for a Pell Grant, even if you have not received the entire 6 years of full-time eligibility.  In addition, you must also meet and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to remain eligible each year.


Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a federal grant program designed to assist students who have the greatest demonstrated financial need and who are also Pell Grant eligible.

For the 2023-24 academic year, the maximum annual SEOG award is $400 for students enrolled in 12 or more units.  SEOG awards are prorated for students attending less than 12 units and students must be at least half-time to be eligible.  Awarding of FSEOG funds is extremely limited due to the small amount of funds received each year, so apply early.  FSEOG awards made for the Fall/Spring award year will be canceled for students who do not attend the Fall Semester. In addition, due to limited funding, Spring awards are always subject to cancelation.


Cal Grants are state-funded and need-based. Grants are given to California college students to help pay for college expenses.  Students at IVC may receive either a Cal Grant A, B or C.  Initial eligibility is made by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) which establishes income, asset, and GPA requirements annually.

The deadline date for high school students to apply for entitlement grants and for university transfer students to apply for competitive grants is March 2nd. All students must file a FAFSA and submit a GPA verification to CSAC by the deadline.  IVC students who have completed 16-degree applicable units will have their GPA automatically calculated and submitted to CSAC for the determination of competitive grants.  Community college students wishing to apply for a competitive grant also have a second filing deadline of September 2nd.

Cal Grant B

For most students, this grant pays up to $1,648 per year.  Former foster youth or students with dependent children may be eligible for up to $6000 per year.

To be eligible, in addition to meeting federal aid requirements, a student must:

  • Be a California resident
  • Not have a bachelor's or professional degree
  • Be pursuing an undergraduate academic program of not less than one academic year
  • Have remaining financial need
  • Have a high school diploma (entitlement only)
  • Be enrolled in at least 6 units

Cal Grant C

For most students, this grant pays up to $1,094 per year.  Students with dependent children may be eligible for up to $4000 per year.

To be eligible, in addition to meeting federal aid requirements, a student must:

  • Be a California resident
  • Not have a bachelor's or professional degree
  • Be enrolled in a vocational program
  • Have remaining financial need
  • Be enrolled in at least 6 units 

Cal Grant A

For most students, these awards will be held in reserve for up to 2 academic years until the student transfers to a tuition-charging institution.  Students with dependent children may be eligible for up to $6000 per year at a community college.

For more information on Cal Grants and other programs administered by CSAC please visit


Cal Grant B or C eligible recipients may earn up to $8000 with this additional award based on enrollment status. This grant pays up to $1298 per semester for students enrolled in 12 to 14.5 units and an additional $2702 per semester for students enrolled in 15 or more units. Students must meet all requirements for Cal Grant and have enough remaining unmet need. Funding is subject to availability.


The California Chafee Grant Program is available for current or former youth to use for career and technical training or college courses. The maximum grant amount is $5000 per year. Students must be enrolled in six or more units each semester to be eligible for the Chafee Grant. Please visit the Foster Youth page for more information.

For questions regarding eligibility please go to or contact Alma Orozco in the Financial Aid Office at 760-355-6414 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Federal Work-Study (FWS) allows students the opportunity to earn part of their financial aid by working in assigned jobs, both on and off-campus. For the 2023-24 academic year, the maximum initial award is $5000.  FWS funds are extremely limited.


The California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant Program encourages California Dream Act Application (CADAA) students with a CalGrant B award to perform community or volunteer service. Students shall perform 150 hours per semester of community or volunteer service. The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will award up to $3,000 per academic year (up to $1,500 per semester) to 2,500 eligible students.  The grant will be available to the student for up to 8 semesters while they have an active CalGrant B award.

For more information, requirements, forms & FAQ's visit 



Imperial Valley College does not participate in the Federal Student Loan Programs. Educational loans are available from a variety of private lenders; however, Imperial Valley College does not maintain or promote any specific private education loan lenders. Imperial Valley College recommends that students apply for Federal grants and other assistance under the Title IV HEA programs prior to considering private educational loans as the terms and conditions may be more favorable under these programs. Students who choose to accept a private educational loan are entitled to specific disclosures from the lender as specified in Truth in Lending 15 U.S.C. 1638(e): Click here to review the disclosures.

Some private educational loan lenders require school certification. Imperial Valley College will not certify a private educational loan without a current aid year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) on record and all federal and state grand aid eligibility determined and processed. Students may be eligible for federal student loans at institutions that participate in those programs. Upon request, the financial aid staff will assist a student with the information necessary to complete a self-certification form. Students may access electronic self-certification forms directly from the lender's website.