imperial logo
Welcome to Imperial Valley College!

Where we foster excellence in education that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character, and abilities; to assist students in achieving their educational and career goals; and to be responsive to the greater community.

Follow us:facebook icontwitter iconinstagram iconyoutube iconlinkedin icon

General Eligibility Requirements

  • To receive aid, you must be enrolled in an approved program of study leading to an associate degree, certificate, or transfer to a four-year college. You are encouraged to follow an Educational Plan and to enroll only in classes towards your stated educational goals.

  • You must meet and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

  • You must have a high school diploma, or equivalent, or have a General Education Diploma (GED).

  • You must not be in default on any Federal Education Loan (Perkins, Stafford, PLUS, Direct), or any other Federal loan at any college or institution.

  • You must not owe a refund or repayment on any Title IV grant program (Pell, FSEOG, ACG, State Student Incentive Grant) at any college or institution.

  • You cannot receive aid while simultaneously enrolled in elementary or secondary school (high school) and college.

  • You must have financial need as determined by the Federal Methodology.

  • You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States or be in the country for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a permanent resident. You may be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship.

  • Eligible non-citizens may be required to provide proof of permanent residency for federal aid. (Alien Registration Cards I-94, I-155, I-688 or U.S. Immigration and Naturalization letter granting asylum, etc.). International/Foreign Students (I-20 Visa holders) are not eligible for financial aid. For further information regarding other eligible immigration status, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

  • You must provide proof of a valid social security number if requested.

These are the general eligibility requirements. Depending on the financial aid program or your unique circumstances, you may have other eligibility requirements that must be met before receiving financial aid.

Undocumented students who qualify for AB540 status may qualify for certain state financial aid programs such as the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) and Cal Grant.  Please visit our Dream Act webpage for more information.