Being an ASG student leader is a rewarding way to serve your fellow students. The responsibilities require a great deal of time and commitment. Involvement with ASG offers a unique way to build relationships, develop professionally, have fun, share your ideas and make a difference in the lives of IVC students.
ASG Elections voting will proceed through online voting on IVC Canvas beginning Monday, May 11, 2020 at 12:00 a.m. through Tuesday, May 12, 2020 until 11:59 p.m.
This page will continue to be updated with information, so be sure to check back regularly.
Here are important dates to note
- Starting 8:00 a.m., Monday, May 4th - Campaigning Begins
- Monday & Tuesday. May 11-12: ASG Elections - Vote on IVC Canvas
- Oath of Office will occur Monday, June 1, 2020
All candidates and applicants will have their eligibility confirmed as part of the process. To be a candidate or applicant, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be a current enrolled student registered in a minimum of six (6) units
- Must have successfully enrolled a minimum of six units the Spring 2020 semester
- Must have at least a 2.0 GPA
- Must not be on any academic or judicial probation
- For ASG President, candidates must have served in ASG senate for at least one term
- Senior senators must have completed more than 24 degree applicable units at IVC
- The primary duty of all student leaders is to serve as an engaged voice for the students of IVC and participate in shared governance. This can include but is not limited to outreach, advocacy, attending meetings, coordinating open forums, and sending out regular updates.
- This is a one year commitment. The term of service is May 2020 through May 2021. Student leaders are expected to be present through the end of their term.
- Attending all the meetings of the Senate, Committees, Commissions and College Councils the student leader serves.
- Participate in outreach on behalf of ASG.
- Attend a meeting of a recognized student organization other than one the student leader is a member and at minimum, once a semester, attend a cultural event of a group other than one the student leader identifies with.
- Serve on a campus Committee
- Attend the mandatory retreat during the fall.
- Attend events as requested.
ASG Elected Leadership Positions Available Are:
A. Campaigning tools (flyers, posts, pictures, videos) should be submitted two days prior to
posting for review and approval by the Elections Committee.
B. One (1) re-post per person via Imperial Valley College social media sites (Facebook,
C. One (1) post will be to showcase the candidates running for president and their
standpoint on addressing student concerns.
D. One (1) email will be sent out by the Elections Committee showcasing all candidates
running for office.
E. Voting is only open to currently enrolled students at Imperial Valley College.
F. Harassment is prohibited. This includes verbal, force to vote, written (printed or
electronic)and/or physical abuse by any candidate or person involved in a campaign.
G. Advertising or campaigning, which is misleading or harmful to a candidate's opponent is
H. Campaign material shall not be a financial incentive for votes, this includes, but is not
limited to any type of currency, promotional codes, coupons or gift cards.
I. Persons shall refrain from posting campaign material over another candidate's material.
J. Door to door campaigning shall not be permitted in places of residence, including but not
limited to apartments, houses, etc.
K. Messaging and posting on social networking sites shall be permitted.oka
L. Messages on social networking sites are not considered emails.
M. Usernames on social networking sites shall be appropriate and in accordance with these
N. Candidates may post a direct link to their social network profile on their campaign
O. The use of Canvas for campaigning is not permitted.
P. Candidates may post a link to the student Canvas from their campaign sites. The URL
for the Canvas may be included on campaign material. social networking websites
(including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) shall be allowed for use in
campaigning pursuant to the following conditions:
a. Content shall be defined as any material (including, but not limited to text,
pictures, audio, and video) which exists on any given page and is under any
reasonable amount of control by the candidate/site profile owner. Candidates are
thus not responsible for advertisements automatically inserted into the site by the
host or site structural elements that are determined by the host or host policy.
b. 'Host' shall be defined as the company which operates the root domain
(including, but not limited to, facebook.com, etc.) and/or with which the profile
holder has entered into a use agreement.
c. Campaigning shall not be allowed on sites that forbid campaigning.
d. Such campaigning shall not be abusive, libelous/slanderous, or in any way
deleterious to competitors, competitors campaign members, or any other person
or organization. Candidates are reminded that websites are considered to be
e. Because candidates have the ability to delete offending content from their profile
pages, candidates shall be considered to be responsible for any text, images,
audio, or media of any kind posted by themselves or by others, including tags, on
their profile pages. The acceptable time frame to remove offensive content from
pages shall be determined by the Elections Committee.
f. The creation of artificial profile pages for the purpose of misleading potential
voters or for discrediting opponents shall result in immediate disqualification,
subject to action by the Elections Committee.
Q. Any copyrighted media content shall be used with authorization from the copyright holder
and in accordance with any applicable laws.
R. All content on a candidate's pages is subject to the agreements appropriate to each site.
S. The Associated Student Government makes no claim to supersede or override such
T. Comments shall not be abusive in nature, number, content, or volume.
U. While not prohibiting such action, the Committee would like to strongly urge candidates
and supporters to refrain from posting on the sites of opponents.
V. Any photos depicting campaign materials, which are not on file with the Committee, shall
not be allowed.